Welcome to the Sioux Scout website

Welcome to the Sioux Scout website
The Sioux Scout website is a place to find fun and informative content ranging from the outdoors in general, hiking & camping on one end, and self reliance & preparedness on the other. The goal is to show just how much those two cultures have in common. A Prepper can learn a lot from a Hiker and vise versa.

We are all about having a positive focused mindset, having the right gear and the know how to work the two together for whatever adventure lays ahead.
"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."
Col. Jeff Cooper

Friday, August 30, 2013

I Guess They're Anti-gunner's Public Enemies Number 1 and 2

My Mauser 48 and DPMS AR-15 sitting on my coffee table. Two of the scariest things an anti-gunner can imagine.
I have an early morning range date tomorrow with my recently purchased Mauser 48 and DPMS AR-15. I placed them on the coffee table tonight and a thought entered my mind: I know have the anti-gunner's Public Enemies Number One and Two.

It's been a well known fact that the anti-gunners have long been afraid of the AR-15. Some of the anti-gunner have the impression that nearly every AR-15 ever made has been used in some mass shooting or other violent crime. An anti-gunner friend of mine refuses to believe that the AR-15 has been available to the general public to buy since 1965 and that there are millions of them in private homes.

Of course there was the recent big push to ban them and they is still an amazing effort for that, by people who just can't comprehend the simple fact that a ban will not stop violent crime.

I can not lie about it. That is one of the reasons why I finally broke down and bought an AR-15 earlier this summer.{link to a post about that purchase}

Now recently I can across an old Mauser 48. {link to a post about that purchase} And now the latest Executive Order is a ban on foreign surplus military arms and ammunition. Really? Why?

Does the President think we are buying fully automatic surplus Russian AKs? No, we are not. Those are already illegal to buy. Sure there are a few cheap foreign surplus semi-autos out there, but not too many. Actually, the surplus military arms market has gotten pretty scarce before the recent gun ban push and Executive Order due to normal supply and demand. There are only so many 50+ year old rifles laying around in government storage.

Which is why this stupid Executive Order has me scratching my head. What good will banning the import of 50+ year old rifles do to reduce gun violence? Are old Mausers, Mosins or even semi-auto AKs and SKSs any more dangerous than a modern hunting rifle?

No. They are most certainly not.

I could rant on an on about this, but I need to write some letters to my congressional representatives about this latest abuse of power and total disregard of the 2nd Amendment. Please consider doing the same.




No comments:

Post a Comment