Welcome to the Sioux Scout website

Welcome to the Sioux Scout website
The Sioux Scout website is a place to find fun and informative content ranging from the outdoors in general, hiking & camping on one end, and self reliance & preparedness on the other. The goal is to show just how much those two cultures have in common. A Prepper can learn a lot from a Hiker and vise versa.

We are all about having a positive focused mindset, having the right gear and the know how to work the two together for whatever adventure lays ahead.
"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."
Col. Jeff Cooper

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Comparrsion: Crossbreed Holster Regular Cut and Combat Cut

My preferred method for carry is the leather and Kydex hybrid style of inside the waistband (IWB) holster. For me, they are the most comfortable and practical option for all day carry. There are many high quality brands and options out there for hybrid IWB holsters. Comp-Tac, Crossbreed, Foxx, old Faithful and White Hat are just a few of the popular choices for a hybrid IWB holster. All offer many options in materials, cant, belt clips, and cut style for the leather backing. Many holsters will have an option of a standard or combat cut.

Crossbreed Super Tuck Standard Cut
 Standard Cut
The standard cut is made with more material between the back of the firearm’s slide & grip, and the wearer’s body. The added material will do two things. It will add some more comfort to for the person carrying the firearm and it will help protect the firearm from sweat from the person carrying.

The positives of this style are an extra level of comfort and protection for the firearm’s finish. The negative is there is a large amount of leather that will be in the way when you reach for your sidearm.



Crossebreed Super Tuck Combat Cut
Combat Cut
The combat cut eliminates the problem of having the leather getting between your hand and the grip of the firearm by not having as much leather backing. The grip area is exposed, allowing a full purchase when you draw.
The positive is this is this style of cut will allow a better draw with a clean purchase on the grip. The negative is without the additional backing material, the firearm will be able to contact the wearer’s body. This could be less comfortable and sweat can get on the firearm, possibly affecting the finish over time.




So which is best for me?
I own two Crossbreed brand IWB holsters. One I ordered with the standard cut and the other with the combat cut. I find them both very comfortable to wear all day long. But with the standard cut I had a very difficult time getting a good purchase on the grip. I tried to adjust and practice for several months, but finally gave up.

My recently modified Crossbreed holster for my EDC
While comfort is an important factor, the ability to draw cleanly is far higher priority to me. I decided to do some reconstructive surgery on my holster and I trimmed the leather down with a heavy pair of scissors to be similar to my other holster. This was a pretty easy process, and if I would have took my time it would look nice.

I have been wearing my modified holster for several weeks now and to be honest, the comfort level is pretty much the same. It may be slightly less comfortable, but it isn’t noticeable anymore. I can wear it all day without issue.

Far as protecting my EDC firearm’s finish, I’m not too concern. My normal dress is a t shirt under an untuck cover shirt. So my firearm does not contact my body directly. During the summer I my go with just an untuck t shirt, but sweating isn't too much of an issue for me. Besides, I carry a Glock so obviously I don’t care if I keep my EDC looking pretty. It’s ugly to start with. Plus if you maintain your firearm with regular cleaning and inspection, there shouldn't be any concerns.

So which is best for you?
For me, I will from now on always go with combat cut hybrid IWB holsters. But they may not be best for everyone. Depending on your body type & size and other physical factors, the level of comfort a holster style is for you may vary greatly. Plus other factors may weight in such as style of clothing you wear and the heat and humidity of your area’s typical weather. Many holster manufacturers will give you a trial period, so you can see if your first choice is the right choice for you.

Bonus Video Footage
Please follow this link if want to set through me trying to go over this in an awkward YouTube video.

What are your thoughts on this post? 

Please comment below or join the free WMA Forum.
_______________________________

Shop Brownells.com

No comments:

Post a Comment