Welcome to the Sioux Scout website

Welcome to the Sioux Scout website
The Sioux Scout website is a place to find fun and informative content ranging from the outdoors in general, hiking & camping on one end, and self reliance & preparedness on the other. The goal is to show just how much those two cultures have in common. A Prepper can learn a lot from a Hiker and vise versa.

We are all about having a positive focused mindset, having the right gear and the know how to work the two together for whatever adventure lays ahead.
"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."
Col. Jeff Cooper

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

My Mauser 48: Love At First Sight, But It Was Mistaken Identity

There is just something about a Mauser. The very name Mauser brings images of a historic rifle. It is an amazing design that pushed the bolt action rifle from a fledgling novelty, to being the world’s standard military and sporting rifle action of choice. Even with today's modern semi-automatic actions, the bolt action is favored by many sportsmen and still today for some military applications.

A Mauser 98 has been on my “someday” list for a long time. I've thought having one of those historic pieces would be pretty cool. But it was nothing I ever really sought after with much effort.

Recently I have been working with a local gun store to sell some firearms. Mostly some items I have won over the years at different charity fundraisers. My gun safe was full and I figured instead of buying another safe to store firearms I never use, I might as well sell them off. I could use the money to buy something I would enjoy more and someone else would get a decent price on what I didn't want. I figured it would be a win win deal.

The last few visits to the LGS, something kept catching my eye on the consignment rack. The first time I saw it from across the room my heart skipped a beat. A Mauser! And in great shape too! I walked up to it and got a glance at the price tag, a bargain. My heart was racing when I picked her up. Then when I took a closer look and my heart sunk; a Mauser 48.

My Mauser 48. Maybe an underdog, but she's mine.
For those of you not real familiar with Mausers, the 48 was a post-World War II rifle made in Yugoslavia. They were made on much of the same German equipment that produced the famed Mauser 98; just not quite the same and not as collectible or, in my opinion, cool. But on the next visit to the gun store, I was past that shortcoming.

The Yugoslavian crest markings on the 48 
Sure I had my heart set on a Mauser 98, but I decided to take the 48 home. I've always been a fan of the underdog and the 48 is the underdog baby brother of the Mauser family. The Mauser 98 is the iconic German rifle used in both World Wars. It was the very rifle that made the bolt action rifle the gold standard. The Mauser 48 was made in the 1950’s in Yugoslavia. Well after the military bolt action rifle’s glory days and during the beginning era of the AK-47, the M-14 and other such semi and fully automatic rifles.

I just couldn't resist this little military misfit that was late to the party. Also it is an interesting story of how the Yugoslavians ended up making the Mauser 48 in the first place. After World War II, the newly formed country needed weapons to protect itself. So they started producing the proven rifle on former German equipment purchased or seized after the war.

Sure it’s no 98, but it’s still a Mauser and it’s mine. After a thorough cleaning and onceover inspection from the local gunsmith,  it’s going enjoy some quality range time with me and maybe even an occasional deer hunt. I think the old girl is going to like her new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment