Welcome to the Sioux Scout website

Welcome to the Sioux Scout website
The Sioux Scout website is a place to find fun and informative content ranging from the outdoors in general, hiking & camping on one end, and self reliance & preparedness on the other. The goal is to show just how much those two cultures have in common. A Prepper can learn a lot from a Hiker and vise versa.

We are all about having a positive focused mindset, having the right gear and the know how to work the two together for whatever adventure lays ahead.
"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."
Col. Jeff Cooper

Monday, October 28, 2013

Winchester SXP Initial Review

Late this summer, I picked up one of the new Winchester SXP shotguns. It caught my eye at a LGS, since I've been shopping around for a new shotgun for waterfowl and upland bird hunting. I like the Mossberg 835 that has been my primary hunting shotgun for over 15 years, but it is a bit on the heavy side. While the 835’s 7 pound 12 ounce empty weight helps tame heavy duck and goose loads, it can take its toll on a person who wants to carry it all day hunting pheasants or grouse.

Winchester SXP Waterfowl Hunter with a 3 inch chamber and 28" barrel

Being a longtime fan of Winchester shotguns, I've been looking at getting either the SX3 semi-auto or the SXP pump. Having a slight preference for the pump, I went with the SXP. But to be honest, it may only be a matter of time before I add a SX3 to my collection too.

I went with the Waterfowl Hunter model with a 3” chamber and a 28” barrel. It looks very sharp with the Mosey Oak Duck Blind finish and it’s a feather to carry weighing in at 6 pounds 14 ounces empty.

The SXP is manufactured in Turkey by Istanbul Silah
Though I've only had it a few months, I am very pleased with the overall quality of this import form Turkey. The XSP shoulders and swings like a dream and the action is very smooth. The fiber optic front bead is very easy to pick up and put on target and the controls are positioned nicely. Especially the location of the cross bolt safety.

Even though I much prefer a Browning or Mossberg style thumb safety on the heel of the receiver over a cross bolt, I really like the location of the safety on the SXP. The safety on the front of the trigger guard is a far better location for me than behind the trigger, like on a Remington 870 or 1100. This is one of the many reasons I've been a fan of Winchester shotguns.

That is because I am in the habit of keeping my trigger finger extended along the side of the receiver, just above the trigger guard. When it is time to shoot it is a very natural movement for me to press the safety button with my trigger finger on its way to the trigger; instead of going back to the safety behind the trigger, then extending again back to the trigger.

The cross bolt safety of the XPS is located at the front of the trigger guard
I have not used this new shotgun of mine a whole lot yet. But with the hunting seasons in my area in full swing and being caught up on cutting firewood, I will be spending more quality time with it. So far I've had it a local gun club and shot a few rounds of trap with it. From light 1-1/8 ounce target loads up to super handicap 1-1/8 ounce trap loads, the recoil was pretty much nonexistent; which should be a shocker for a shotgun marketed for the Waterfowler.




Last weekend I put the SXP through its paces pheasant hunting out in North Dakota. Hunting with 1-1/4 once #6 shot 2-3/4 inch loads, the recoil was again pretty much nonexistent. The firearm cycled flawlessly and with its great handling I was quick to pick up on the birds with it. In fact, I was quick enough to beat my Brother-in-law to the shot most of the time; that pleased me greatly.

The biggest thing I noticed on the North Dakota trip was the light weight of the SXP. Since I’m used to carrying the Mossberg 835, the nearly pound less in weight was very noticeable and enjoyed. 14 ounces may not seem like a lot, but ounces add up when carrying a shotgun around in the field all day.

While the SXP is still very new to me, I really like this shotgun. It is a well built, nice looking shotgun that shoulders, swings and functions beautifully. If you are in the market for a new pump action shotgun, I would suggest you give the Winchester SXP a serious look.

Please note we've added a forum page to this website. If you would like to talk more about the Winchester SXP, please join the discussion on our forum at this link: Winchester SXP Initial Review

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. I was looking like this. Really it is very useful and informative post. Thanks for sharing. Thanks again! click here

    ReplyDelete