Welcome to the Sioux Scout website

Welcome to the Sioux Scout website
The Sioux Scout website is a place to find fun and informative content ranging from the outdoors in general, hiking & camping on one end, and self reliance & preparedness on the other. The goal is to show just how much those two cultures have in common. A Prepper can learn a lot from a Hiker and vise versa.

We are all about having a positive focused mindset, having the right gear and the know how to work the two together for whatever adventure lays ahead.
"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."
Col. Jeff Cooper

Thursday, January 16, 2014

A Time and Place for Open Carry

This is a great picture a friend of mine shared with me of her Grandfather from the late 1970's, maybe early 1980's. She commented about the holster on his hip. Saying something along the lines of "Grandpa always had his gun with while in the woods or on the trail."

My friend's grandfather was far from the only one in this area who was in the habit of open carrying a sidearm. Especially of that generation and that time period.

Here in Wisconsin, concealed carry has only been legal for a few years. In that short time over 200,000 Wisconsin residents have received a concealed carry permit. Of course many who have a CCW do not actively carry. I personally know several who got one just to have one. But still a large number of people are now carrying concealed everyday.

While concealed carry is somewhat new to us Cheeseheads, open carry has been legal for decades. In the late 1960's it was somewhat fashionable to carry a sidearm, at least locally. In my years it has been pretty rare to see it on a day to day basis, with the exception of one of my neighbors.

But it is something you'll see along the trails and rivers. Many hunters, hikers and fisherman will open carry a sidearm in the wilderness that I live in. Mainly in case of a surprise encounter with a black bear.

Some people I correspond with find it odd that I am a supporter of open carry. They see it as dangerous for an Armed Citizen to do because it draws negative attention to them. In this rural area, there is more of an acceptance of firearms in general and for people who carry. You don't see many Armed Citizens open carrying, but it is tolerated more in this area.

That's why I say there is a time and place for open carry. While in the back country hiking, camping, kayaking, etc. it makes perfect sense to me to open carry. In a rural area like where I live, one could get away with open carry in public. I have on occasion, such as a quick trip to the store.

But in a crowded urban environment, I don't think that is the place. At least not for me. Like all aspects of concealed carry, open carry depends a lot on personal preferences and skills. Some city dwellers are comfortable and skilled enough to open carry safely. I am just not one of those people.

A lot of people who conceal carry frown on open carry for a host of reasons. Some good, sound silly. But I for one support it fully, as long as it's done safely and responsibly. I would like to see more people open carry simply to show more of the average public that normal people carry sidearms for protection every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment