Welcome to the Sioux Scout website

Welcome to the Sioux Scout website
The Sioux Scout website is a place to find fun and informative content ranging from the outdoors in general, hiking & camping on one end, and self reliance & preparedness on the other. The goal is to show just how much those two cultures have in common. A Prepper can learn a lot from a Hiker and vise versa.

We are all about having a positive focused mindset, having the right gear and the know how to work the two together for whatever adventure lays ahead.
"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."
Col. Jeff Cooper

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Keeping My Eye on the x39's

Last week rumors started floating around the internet on gun blogs and forums, including this one, about a possible shortage in the overseas supply of x39 ammo.

As I mentioned last week I ordered a few spam cans of TulAmmo a little ahead of my schedule just to be safe. I'm glad I did because currently there is a little bit of an increase across the board on foreign made x39 ammo.

I don't want to cause a panic, but per my search on Gunbot, prices have risen a few cents per round over last week. Nothing major and well within normal fluctuations. But so far I did save a few bucks by placing my order when I did.

The 7.62x39 TulAmmo FMJ 122 Grain 640 Round Spam Can 2396 fps Russian Steel Cased Polymer Coated ammo I ordered on 03/06/2014 at $159.79 each is now priced at $199.79 at the same retailer. I also order two 20 round boxes of Herter's brand 7.62X39 123GR SP at $11.99 each on 03/06/2014. That item is still available at the same price.

I'm going to keep a watchful eye on this and see where the prices go. Now of course the slight spike in pricing may just be from a small run of panic buyers, like myself. Hopefully that's the case and prices and supplies aren't going to spiral out of control again.

One positive that I think can be taken out of the ammo shortage that started in December of 2012 is that it woke up a lot of people to why you should keep a supply of ammunition on hand. I know I used to be the type that would keep maybe a box or two of ammo for each caliber around the house and just pick up another box if I was heading to the range. Those days are behind me and many others.

Yes there are a few calibers I don't keep a stockpile for, such as some of my hunting rifles. But 5.56, 7.62x39 and a few handgun calibers, that's a different story.

What are your thoughts about the shortage of the x39 ammo? Please feel free to comment below or join the discussion on the free West Marshland Armory Forum.

Link to forum post: Keeping My Eye on the x39's

No comments:

Post a Comment