Welcome to the Sioux Scout website

Welcome to the Sioux Scout website
The Sioux Scout website is a place to find fun and informative content ranging from the outdoors in general, hiking & camping on one end, and self reliance & preparedness on the other. The goal is to show just how much those two cultures have in common. A Prepper can learn a lot from a Hiker and vise versa.

We are all about having a positive focused mindset, having the right gear and the know how to work the two together for whatever adventure lays ahead.
"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."
Col. Jeff Cooper

Thursday, June 19, 2014

A FIREARM IS NOT A TOY! Really? I beg to differ.

Lately I've been apart, read, and overheard a fair amount of discussions regarding customizing firearms with different coatings or paint colors. From frames, receivers, grips, slides, etc. to complete guns. "Tactical" shades of grey, green & brown and camo patterns are becoming trendy. Along with bright colors and loud patterns.

Personally I'm more of a Plain Jane kind of guy, but I have to admit I like the looks of an OD green Glock or a 1911 with a FDE Cerakote finish. While zombie green paint scheme or a skull & crossbone hydro dip finish is not my thing, I can see why people would like having a little personality with their firearm. And that's fine.

But some really get bent out of shape about the idea of a gun that isn't wood or black polymer with  stainless, blued, or black finishes metal. Many with that view are purest who think all firearms should look exactly the same as they've always have. And that's fine too.

One underlying theme that comes up as an argument against non-traditional color is that the guns look like toys, and firearms are not toys. I see there point, but I disagree because "toy" is a pretty broad term. Some who are uber safety conscious and feel the only way some are able to tell the difference from a real firearm and a children's toy is it's color. I find that to be just silly talk.

I feel guns can be toys. Toys for grown ups mind you, like a Harley Davidson. I own several guns that are not suitable for hunting or self defense. I just like to take them to the range to shoot for the enjoyment and enjoyment alone of shooting them. If that's not a toy, then I really don't know what is.

People tend to get uptight about calling a firearm a toy, as if it's lumped into the same box as a Barbie Doll or a football. Of course you would give a gun to a five year old to play with or a Harley Davidson, just like you wouldn't give a forty year old a Thomas the Train playset to get him through a mid-life crisis. People need to remember that adults need to have fun too, and many shoot for fun.

Me trying to counter the firearms are serious and not a toy view on a forum.

Lots of people enjoy recreational shooting. Competitive pistol leagues, long range rifle shoots, five stand, skeet, sporting clays & trap for shotgun, and 3 gun and Cowboy Action for everything at once. Yes most of those sports are designed to sharpen your skills for using your firearms for defensive purposes and for hunting, but many play those games (yes, I said games) with no desire in improving their skills for the intended reasons.

 Now if you only have a pistol or shotgun for home defense, or rifle for hunting you may be able to argue that you only have weapons to defend yourself with or a tool to put food on the table. But I think you at least need to describe your firearms as "dual role." I know when I train with my EDC pistol or go hunting I'm enjoying myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment