Welcome to the Sioux Scout website

Welcome to the Sioux Scout website
The Sioux Scout website is a place to find fun and informative content ranging from the outdoors in general, hiking & camping on one end, and self reliance & preparedness on the other. The goal is to show just how much those two cultures have in common. A Prepper can learn a lot from a Hiker and vise versa.

We are all about having a positive focused mindset, having the right gear and the know how to work the two together for whatever adventure lays ahead.
"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."
Col. Jeff Cooper

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Got One in the Pipe?

One topic of discussion for Armed Citizens that can become almost as heated as what is the best caliber; is whether to carry with a round in the chamber or not. Many yelling matches at ranges and all caps exchanges on internet forums have been had because of the topic.

As you can see by the extractor, this Glock is ready for duty.
Many people, including me, feel if you are wearing a handgun without a round in the chamber; you are not carrying a weapon, you’re carrying a blunt object that might as well be a rock. When a handgun is carried for defense, they are a weapon of last resort. There may become needed with very little to no warning at all. At a time when things went from normal to crisis in an instant, racking the slide will not be as easy as when you practiced.

The other side of the debate is; when a handgun has a round in the chamber, there is the potential for an accidental discharge. When carrying in public why risk it? Especially since statically you’ll never use it. You’d be more likely to shoot yourself in the foot than anything else. Besides, with practice, one can draw and rack the slide with only adding about a second to the process.

Both sides of the debate have solid, logical and very valid points. Again balance comes to play in this aspect of conceal carry. The firearm you care carrying needs to be ready for use as fast as possible and be kept safe.

I am solidly in the camp of carry your handgun with a chambered round. But I will not frown too much upon someone who decides to not carry with a round chambered, especially someone new to CCW. It is a personal preference that involves some ones comfort level, experience, training and a host of other factors.

At first I was not comfortable with a round in the chamber. But the more I became familiar and experienced with carrying a handgun on me; I changed my style when I was ready. For me, when seconds count, I want every fraction of a second I can get. And with a proper holster that completely covers the trigger guard, I am very confident I am being safe.

Firearms are dangerous. There is no debate about that. Extreme care needs to be taken whenever handling one, whether you are on the range, in the field, around the house, or if you carry every day. With proper training, practice, equipment and a commitment to keeping safety in mind at all times; carrying a handgun with a chambered round is the better option. It is how modern handguns are designed to be carried.


With that said, I am not comfortable at all with a handgun having  a round in the chamber when it is not on me, or within my reach. If I have a firearm in a range bag, backpack, vehicle glove box, or any other place for that matter, the chamber is cleared. Simply because if my hand is not within reach of a firearm; I do not have control of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment