Welcome to the Sioux Scout website

Welcome to the Sioux Scout website
The Sioux Scout website is a place to find fun and informative content ranging from the outdoors in general, hiking & camping on one end, and self reliance & preparedness on the other. The goal is to show just how much those two cultures have in common. A Prepper can learn a lot from a Hiker and vise versa.

We are all about having a positive focused mindset, having the right gear and the know how to work the two together for whatever adventure lays ahead.
"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."
Col. Jeff Cooper

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Consistency with Your EDC

Since concealed carry is relatively new to Wisconsin, I do not have years upon years of experience. But that doesn't stop me from becoming very nervous when people talk about all the different ways they carry. They say things like “it depends on my mood on what gun I carry, sometimes I feel like carrying a small revolver in my pocket, sometimes it’s a 1911 on my hip.” This is like nails on a chalkboard for me.

In order to be proficient in something, like quickly drawing a sidearm, a lot of practice is required.  The practice hones your skill by building muscle memory. The best shooting sports athlete spend countless hours on their form. Now of course the average person does not need to be perfect in their draw & carry techniques, but they should be consistent.

If you are forced to draw your sidearm, you will rely on reflexes more than thought. Instincts and muscle memory will kick in and possibly override your motor skills. This may result in reach for a gun where it has been trained to the most. If surprised by a threat, it would be a bad time to reach for a pistol on your 4 o’clock and find out it’s in your pocket or under your shoulder. It wouldn't be ideal to reach for a safety or to cock a hammer that wasn't there. Mistakes like that my only cost you a fraction of a second, but a fraction of a second could cost you your life.

For me I keep it very simple and consistent. I only carry one of two pistols; a full size and a compact model of the same manufacturer. While different in size, the action, trigger pull & rest and controls are the same. I have the same style of night sights and grip tape on the grips; so they have a nearly identical feel and sight picture. I also carry both in the same position on my hip.

I like to carry the full size in winter months. Bulkier clothing and cold hands makes this a more appealing option for me. But for the rest of the year, or when I know I'll spend the bulk of my time indoors, the compact is easier to conceal and more comfortable for all day wear.


I am by no means saying someone should only own one style or brand of handgun, or even use one style for home defense. But I would recommend only carrying one for an EDC. Especially for a beginner at concealed carry.

-----------------------------------------------------------
What are your thoughts on multiple carry options? 
Please comment below or join the West Marshland Armory Forum to share with everyone.

----------------

No comments:

Post a Comment