Welcome to the Sioux Scout website

Welcome to the Sioux Scout website
The Sioux Scout website is a place to find fun and informative content ranging from the outdoors in general, hiking & camping on one end, and self reliance & preparedness on the other. The goal is to show just how much those two cultures have in common. A Prepper can learn a lot from a Hiker and vise versa.

We are all about having a positive focused mindset, having the right gear and the know how to work the two together for whatever adventure lays ahead.
"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."
Col. Jeff Cooper

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Rite in the Rain Notebooks

Rite in the Rain memo pad
While shopping around on Amazon for other things, I stumbled across the Rite in the Rain weatherproof notebooks. So I order myself a three pack to give them a try. If you're unfamiliar with them, they are a specialty line of note books ranging in sizes from a small memo pad to a typical spiral bound notebook.. Besides a general lined notebook design, they offer several user specific notebooks geared to Law Enforcement, civil engineers, hunters, fisherman, and researchers.

While the logbooks made for hunters and fishermen are great, the regular notebooks are a great item for anyone who spends time outdoors to have. They are ruggedly built and very weather resistant. With a pencil or all weather pen you can do exactly what the name implies, write in the rain. This is why it is a great item to have in your day pack, blind bag, range bag, get home bag, etc.
Inside cover has map scales & conversion chart
For the outdoors person, having the ability to write down notes in foul weather while in the field can be very handy. It could be very useful in an emergency situation as well. Such as writing down info after a traffic accident, leaving a note along the trail if lost in the woods, etc.

For my own use I bought a three pack of the memo books. I’ll keep one of them in my vehicle and another one in a bag of gear. So far I am very impressed with them.

I have one of their field books on order that will keep in my shooting range bag and use as a logbook. Considering I end up shooting in all types of weather, a logbook of this type of construction could be very useful. I look forward to using it to track my progress for Summer Trap League and also my range time with the rifles and handguns.

If you are interested, below are links you can follow to Amazon for the Rite in the Rain products.
Link to the three pack of 3" X 5" memo pads:
3 Pack Rite in the Rain All Weather Tactical Pocket Notebooks 3" x 5" - Tan
Link to the field book I will be using as a range log book:
"Rite in the Rain" Tactical Field Book - Tan (4 5/8" x 7 1/4") - 980T

Standard ruled pages with dotted vertical lines. Great for  making charts, maps, etc.
A memo pad is currently rest at the bottom of that crater in the snow
If you’re curious what I did with the third memo pad of the three pack I bought, I threw is out into a snow bank. More about that particular memo pad to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment