Welcome to the Sioux Scout website

Welcome to the Sioux Scout website
The Sioux Scout website is a place to find fun and informative content ranging from the outdoors in general, hiking & camping on one end, and self reliance & preparedness on the other. The goal is to show just how much those two cultures have in common. A Prepper can learn a lot from a Hiker and vise versa.

We are all about having a positive focused mindset, having the right gear and the know how to work the two together for whatever adventure lays ahead.
"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."
Col. Jeff Cooper

Thursday, April 24, 2014

There are just some things one shouldn't do in a Walmart check out line

There are just some things one should not do in a Walmart check out line. One of them is taking out your EDC firearm to show your friend. Sounds like something that would go without saying, right? Well, I guess someone in my area isn't sharp enough to think of that on their own.

On my drive into work this morning, I caught the first part of the Pine County Sheriff's report on a local radio station. Once a week they interview the Pine County, MN Sheriff Robin Cole, who is a very likeable guy who's sense of humor makes his weekly report fun to listen to. He is also a very strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment. But even he didn't approve of one man's recent actions.

Pine County, MN Sheriff Robin Cole -  Photo from WCMP

Pine County, MN is on the other side of the St. Croix River from me. Pine City, despite the name, is a small town about 25 miles away that has the closest Walmart to me. This is the location that a man with a concealed carry permit decided to show his friend his new carry side arm, in the check out line.

Now I know I get excited when I get a new firearm and like to show them off to my firearm loving friends whenever I get an opportunity. But in the middle of a Walmart is not an opportunity to show a firearm loving friend a new firearm.

I don't know if I should laugh or cry about this, but I'm leaning towards crying. It really saddens me that someone who would carry a firearm would think that would be a wise move. Now this knucklehead is possibly looking at being charged with disturbing the peace, but more importantly he made himself something the anti gunners can use against us.


On a side note, while he serves a different county in a neighboring state, I really like and support Sheriff Cole. Below is a letter he released to the press and sent to Washington DC at the height of last year's gun control push. I thought I would include it here to balance out the stupid of the Walmart shopper. We need more Sheriffs like Sheriff Cole.
January 15, 2013
As Sheriff of Pine County, it is important for residents to know my position as it relates to the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. In the past week I have had several requests and one meeting on this matter. Normally I attempt to remain neutral on matters of politics but this issue transcends political division and I feel it appropriate to state my position.
I believe that the right to keep and bear firearms is fundamental to our individual freedom and that firearms are a part of life in our county. The Federal Government has a constitutional role in the governance of our republic but the United States of America is a democratic republic of individual sovereign states. Each state has the absolute right to establish laws, within the confines of the constitution which is the supreme law of this republic, to regulate behavior.
As Sheriff, I swore an oath to follow the Constitution of the United States and to enforce the laws of the State of Minnesota. I believe current state law is sufficient to protect the public safety while providing individuals the right to keep and bear arms.
If the State of Minnesota desires to change current law, then it must do so through the legitimate process of legislation. In my opinion it is a moral sin to erode freedom through obscure regulation and administrative rules. I believe this is also true for both State and Federal Government.
I do not believe the Federal Government or any individual in the Federal Government has the right to dictate to the states, counties or municipalities any mandate, regulation or administrative rule that violates the United States Constitution or it various amendments. I would view any such mandate, regulation or administrative rule illegal and refuse to carry it out.
Robin K. Cole
Pine County Sheriff

 Please feel free to comment below or join the discussion on the new West Marshland Armory Forum.
The forum is new and just getting started. A few friends of mine from other firearms forums have joined and we hope you join us by signing up for a free membership. Once we have 100 active members we will start having prize giveaways and other rewards for participating.

No comments:

Post a Comment