Welcome to the Sioux Scout website

Welcome to the Sioux Scout website
The Sioux Scout website is a place to find fun and informative content ranging from the outdoors in general, hiking & camping on one end, and self reliance & preparedness on the other. The goal is to show just how much those two cultures have in common. A Prepper can learn a lot from a Hiker and vise versa.

We are all about having a positive focused mindset, having the right gear and the know how to work the two together for whatever adventure lays ahead.
"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."
Col. Jeff Cooper

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Alien Gear Cloak 2.0 Holster Initial Review


To be completely honest, I bought this holster on a whim. I really didn't have a need for it and I did not do my normal amount of research on it before I bought one. I have only one friend who has one, or at least said he thought they seemed like a nice option. And I've only watched one YouTube review video on them, but it was a very good one.

Link to Sootch00's review:
Alien Gear Holsters : Hype or Quality? | Sootch00

The combination of low cost, a neoprene material backing, and interchangeable shells to use with different pistols made it too tempting not to try out. So I figured I didn't have much to lose by ordering one.

Since I have my holster requirements thoroughly  covered from my EDC, I decided to branch out a little and venture into the "you never know" realm of carrying. I ordered an Alien Gear Cloak 2.0 for a 1911 I recently purchased. I don't carry the 1911, I have no plans to start carrying the 1911, but you never now.

The Alien Gear Cloak 2.0 holster with a Ruger CMD 1911

Actually, the real excuse for me buying it was it gave me a chance to test out this holster with something larger and heavier than what I normally carry IWB. Since I was interested in seeing how good the interchange shell worked, I order an extra shell for my Glock 20 to go along with it. I figured carrying around my two largest and heaviest pistols should be a good test for this holster.

Customer Service
I found the customer service from Alien Gear to be excellent. Ordering off their website was straight forward and painless. I received all the expected confirmation emails for receiving the order and shipment, plus a weekly status email. The holster arrived on my doorsteps in a timely manner undamaged.

Initial Impressions
Out of the box I was very pleased. The materials and hardware used are all high quality stuff. Included with my holster and extra shell was an assortment of spacers for adjusting retention. The only gripe on my end is that the shells had some burrs on along the edges that I needed to remove. Well, maybe I really didn't need to. They may have been fine, but I'm a little on the fussy side.

A received the holster on a Thursday. After giving it a quick once over, I wore it with my 1911 around the house. I was very impressed with how comfortable the holster is right out of the box. I really like the neoprene material of the holster's backing.

Extra shell for a Glock 20
Holster came with a bag of extra hardware and rubber spacers for adjusting retention.

After wearing the holster around the house during the weekend after it arrived, I am almost ready to buy a shell for my EDC. But I'm going to wait a while and see how this rig holds up with a little more use first. Since I carry my Glock 20 in an OWB Bravo Concealment brand holster a fair amount during the winter, I will switch the shells over and see how it goes with my part time winter EDC.

Side Note: When I know I will be spending a fair amount of time outside during the winter months, I will carry my Glock 20. My thinking is with cold gloved hands, the full size Glock would be easier to work with than the compact that is my EDC. Just a comfort level thing for me.

Initially there's not  much for me to complain about. There was the slight amount of burrs on the lip of the shells and I'm not 100% sure of the standard plastic clips that came with the holster. But I'm guessing they will prove to be just fine.

My only real complaint. The shells do have some burrs that I needed to remove.

I'll make a point to wear this holster as much as I can over the winter months and give it a more thorough review. At this point, I think this holster may be a real winner.



2 comments: