Welcome to the Sioux Scout website

Welcome to the Sioux Scout website
The Sioux Scout website is a place to find fun and informative content ranging from the outdoors in general, hiking & camping on one end, and self reliance & preparedness on the other. The goal is to show just how much those two cultures have in common. A Prepper can learn a lot from a Hiker and vise versa.

We are all about having a positive focused mindset, having the right gear and the know how to work the two together for whatever adventure lays ahead.
"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."
Col. Jeff Cooper

Friday, March 14, 2014

What about the children..... and tornadoes?

This recent "quote of the day" from the TruthAboutGuns blog has really had me shaking my head.
“I’m not sure I would call myself anti-gun, because I understand the appeal (and utility) of hunting and hitting the shooting range. However, I don’t understand the mindset of feeling like I would need to carry a gun as I would carry my smartphone. I know the threat is out there, but so is the threat of tornadoes, and I don’t carry a storm shelter on my person at all times. Because I don’t live like I could be under attack at any moment, I don’t [see] how introducing more guns in a kids’ environment is better than showing them how to best get out of harm’s way. In fact, given the high emotion that runs at kids’ sporting events, I worry more that introducing guns into that environment brings a higher risk of some knucklehead brandishing a piece instead of speaking it. I’m not sure, even armed, we in the crowd would be able to stop a crazed shooter any more than we could stop a tornado.” – Bob Cook, Gun Rights Measures Include Carrying At Children’s Sporting Events [via forbes.com]
I'm used to the classic "I'm not against guns or the 2nd Amendment because I understand people like to hunt or target shoot" statement. Even though I've stopped trying to explain to these people that the 2nd Amendment has absolutely nothing to do with hunting or recreational shooting. They know the two have nothing in common, they just don't want to think about what the 2nd Amendment is really for, because it scares them. As it should. I don't like the thought of it myself, but it is nothing to be ignored.

I'm also numb to the fact that people are afraid that a responsible Armed Citizen carrying a concealed firearm will warp an innocent child's perception of firearms. With the popularity of first person shooter video games, guns in TV shows and movies, etc, etc; I don't think the unseen handgun under my shirt will make too much difference.

What has be confused is the comparison of defending yourself from a violent crime to bad weather. Really? Maybe that analogy would be accurate if we got a crime forecast on the nightly news. Is there an app for my smartphone that would send me a Potential Violent Crime Watch or Warning to me per a zip code, similar to a Tornado Warning or a Tornado Watch from the National Weather Service? No, there is no such thing?

Mr. Cook said "...I don’t live like I could be under attack at any moment.." But the reality, that many refuse to believe, is quite the opposite. Not only can we be under attack at any moment, it can and does happen with no warning. That is the very reason responsible Armed Citizens choose to carry.

By the way if there was a portable device that weighed around a pound and cost around $600 or less, and if used properly by a trained person would protect me from a tornado; I'd carry one.


Please feel free to comment below or join the discussion on the new West Marshland Armory Forum.





No comments:

Post a Comment