Welcome to the Sioux Scout website

Welcome to the Sioux Scout website
The Sioux Scout website is a place to find fun and informative content ranging from the outdoors in general, hiking & camping on one end, and self reliance & preparedness on the other. The goal is to show just how much those two cultures have in common. A Prepper can learn a lot from a Hiker and vise versa.

We are all about having a positive focused mindset, having the right gear and the know how to work the two together for whatever adventure lays ahead.
"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."
Col. Jeff Cooper

Sunday, March 23, 2014

First Impressions of the Century Arms Centurion 39

Century Arms Centurion 39. Almost too nice to be an AK.

I've only have had the new AK for less than a week, but it's fast becoming one of my favorites in my collection. While I do not have a ton of experience with AK's, I am very impressed with the smoothness the Centurion 39 handles and fires.

The fit and finish of the Centurion is exceptional for an AK. The furniture fits tightly to the firearm with no gaps or wiggle. The finish is a nice dark matte grey that has been applied evenly. The action is very smooth.

In fact the action is so nice, the night I picked it up from my FFL, I just sat on the couch racking the charging handle over and over. Yes, I'm just a big kid when I get a new firearm.

Below are some pictures and descriptions. And here's a link to a YouTube video of me rambling semi-coherently about it.

Please feel free to comment below or join the discussion on the free West Marshland Armory Forum.

Link to the Forum post: First Impressions of the Century Arms Centurion 39


Internals are standard AK flare, except for the lightening cuts in the bolt carrier.


Finish is excellent, but you'll still get the trademark scratch of an AK selector switch

I've seen some complaints online about the gas tube lock arm being loose, but mine is not.

The furniture is of high quality. Both the fit and finish is outstanding. Century Arms offer several options for composite and wood furniture. I went with the black and grey laminate finish wood and I'm very pleased with how it looks.

The stock is fitted nicely to the receiver with no gaps or wobble.

The stock is the two tang style. Notice how well it is fitted to the receiver.

The front sitght is different from most AKs. It is only adjustable for elevation. 

The Centurion has it's own style of muzzle break. From the shooting I've done so far, I have to say it works just fine. The firearm is very controlled and smooth firing.

My only concern thus far is the rear sight. It is adjustable for windage and only had one small set screw in the center to hold it in place. My first impression is this is a little flimsy of a design, but we'll see how she goes. I amy be worried over nothing.

The Centurion 39 comes with a Tapco G2 trigger. This is my first experience with a Tapco trigger and I was blown away by how smooth and clean it is 

5 comments:

  1. These look like great rifles. The reviews I have said have been mostly positive. I've only heard a few negatives but any company is going to have them. I have a VZ58 clone made by century and I was very impressed by the build quality. I think Century has made some strides in quality. I'll have to pick one of these up, after I pick up a Yugo underfolder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looked at this rifle today! Same color and all,really like it,599$ isn't bad!! I think I'll pick up next month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have the vz clone and I'm dealing with century now about canted front sights!! Sending it back for the second time after Christmas. At 50yds the front sight is touching the carriage on the right and set all the way down for elevation. It is hitting the Bulls eye now and shoots 2" groups but I have no adjustment left at all!!

    ReplyDelete