Welcome to the Sioux Scout website

Welcome to the Sioux Scout website
The Sioux Scout website is a place to find fun and informative content ranging from the outdoors in general, hiking & camping on one end, and self reliance & preparedness on the other. The goal is to show just how much those two cultures have in common. A Prepper can learn a lot from a Hiker and vise versa.

We are all about having a positive focused mindset, having the right gear and the know how to work the two together for whatever adventure lays ahead.
"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."
Col. Jeff Cooper

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Why I carried three guns


I had the new to me Ruger LCR in a pocket holster, a Glock on the hip and the Shield appendix.
No, I didn't think it's was going to be an extra dangerous day. Just did some testing. I wanted to see how comfortable the new LCR is for pocket carry and also seeing how comfortable the G29 in a relatively new holster was with the combination of having the Shield on me.

While I currently don't carry a back up gun, I am warming up to the idea of doing so. There are several advantageous to carry a back up gun (BUG). Many reasons are cover by the "New York Reload" school of thought of; if your primary firearm becomes out of action due to running out of ammo, a malfunction, or you flat out loose the thing, it is faster to draw another gun than reload, clear the malfunction, or relocate and pick up a dropped weapon.

Besides the New York Reload reasonings, there are other valid reasons to consider carrying a BUG too. Having a spare gun on you would allow you to arm someone who you trust in some scenarios. Say, you're out to lunch with a coworker or at the mall with a friend. If a good guy with a gun can stop a bad guy with a gun, two good guys with a gun would improve the odds.

Another reason valid reason would be having a second firearm is having another draw option. For example, while being seated in a car a gun on the hip my be difficult to draw from, while a second gun at appendix would be faster to draw from.

Now will I carry a BUG? Not all the time, but I may start once in a while. Today's little experience showed me that it isn't too difficult to do so with the right equipment. I drove 45 minutes to the area Mendard's to pick up some supplies for projects around the house and worked on those projects. I also spent about three hours out in the woods on my property and on some public land checking trail cameras. I also stopped at a local bar & grille for a late lunch. Don't worry, I had a pop with my burger. Throughout the day, carrying three handguns was not a problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment