Welcome to the Sioux Scout website

Welcome to the Sioux Scout website
The Sioux Scout website is a place to find fun and informative content ranging from the outdoors in general, hiking & camping on one end, and self reliance & preparedness on the other. The goal is to show just how much those two cultures have in common. A Prepper can learn a lot from a Hiker and vise versa.

We are all about having a positive focused mindset, having the right gear and the know how to work the two together for whatever adventure lays ahead.
"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."
Col. Jeff Cooper

Thursday, January 1, 2015

I Tried, I Really Did: But I'm just not a "+1 kind of guy"'

I tried, I really did. But I'm just not a "+1 kind of guy." It turns out I'm just too lazy. Thats the only excuse I have and I know it's not a good one. But the fact remains, I'm just don't carry +1.

About a year or so ago, I was shamed into carrying this way by some like minded friends. Their logic and the logic of all +1 carriers is sound. Why not top the mag off after you rack the slide to load the chamber? So everytime I loaded my EDC I would insert a full magazine, rack the slide to chamber a round, remove the magazine, add another round, and then re-insert the magazine.

This routine lasted for two maybe three weeks. Then I reverted back to loading a full magazine, racking the slide to chamber a round, and then going about my day. Like I said, I'm lazy. The extra effort and handling of my EDC is just not worth the effort and handling to get in one single more round.

While I still and always will agree that carrying +1 is a great way to go, I'm just not going to do that. I am just not that hung up on capacity. My EDC's magazine holds 13 rounds, the spare magazine that rides daily on my other hip holds 15 rounds. I'm very comfortable with a grand total of 28 rounds on me.

To be honest, the 13 rounds in my non-topped off EDC is plenty good for me. The main reason why I carry a spare magazine is not even for the extra ammo, as I discussed in this post that I linked below:

It's seems some take capacity to an almost fetish like state. They pick a handgun model and caliber almost exclusively based on the capacity it offers. And have a hard time trying to find a quantity of spare magazines they're willing to carry. Two, three, four on the person, plus three or four in the glove box of their vehicle or in a bag.

The carrying of extra magazines in the glove box kind of cracks me up. While I can see the usefulness in a severe situation like a sudden "grid down, WROL, OMG the zombie apocalypse is real" event, the odds are just not large enough for me to put forth the effort. Not to mention they would be useless in an actual fire fight.  "Hang on Mr. Bad Guy, I got to run back to my car for some more ammo. I'm down to only three spare mags on me."

But to get back onto and end this post on the original topic; I'm just not a +1 kind of guy. I'm not going to put forth the additional effort it takes to carry just one more round with me. Maybe my obituary will read "if only he had one more bullet," but obviously I'm betting it won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment